Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Audioook Review: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, read by Denny Delk


 
 
I read this one in my pre-teen years, in Russian translation. I don't remember it making much of an impression, but back then I was more into "girl" books and was probably just too young to fully understand the story. I finally decided to check it out on audiobook, and so glad I did! In fact, I think it is best appreciated as an audiobook. The narrator does a spectacular job transporting you to the time and place, both by using the appropriate dialects (you actually get a warning at the start that the characters will speak differently) and by the general tone and attitude.

The story is a classic and literary criticism of it is widely available, so I will only give my general impression of what, to me, makes it worth a fresh look.

While many consider it THE Great American Novel, it fell out of favor lately, another victim of cancel culture and presentism. And in truth, take the offending word out, and it still asks questions which our advanced society hasn't resolved in a satisfactory manner. How many of us would stand by a friend in defiance of propriety, societal norms, and religious teachings? How many would matter-of-factly accept condemnation in this life and damnation in the next? I think that's the real reason this novel, while both fun and exquisitely written, might be too unsettling for modern sensibilities.

And that's a shame, really, because we need more stories like this one, especially for the younger generation, and especially for boys: a thrilling, engaging adventure that's also thought-provoking, with a lot of heart and faith in humanity at its core. That said, I recommend it to anyone, including those who read it at a young age. Check it out again, and if you can, get your hands on an unabridged audiobook. You'll very likely be surprised at what you find.







No comments:

Post a Comment